Happy November to everyone!
We had a great Halloween weekend in downtown Dixon with the first-ever Monster Pancake Breakfast at the Post House Ballroom serving 225 people. Thanks to Lee County Council on Aging for co-hosting the event with DMS and to our sponsors Mama Cimino's, Fifth Third Bank, McDonald's and Astro-Ven. And thanks to all the volunteers that made it happen. After the breakfast, the Lions Club held their annual parade through the downtown streets. Later that night, I saw plenty of great costumes while I was downtown.
1) We are just a few short days away from the funniest night of the year when Second City comes to town for a the Dysfunctional Holiday Review. If you love Saturday Night Live, you won't want to miss the Second City at the Historic Dixon Theatre on Saturday, Nov. 6 at 7:30 p.m. Get your tickets now at Trein's, Venier's or Crysal Cork, or call the DMS office at 288-2308. Tickets are $20 in advance or $15 if you have a group of 5 or more. Tickets are $25 at the door. Wear your best holiday sweater for a chance to win a prize!
2) Second Saturdays is coming up on Nov. 13! Check the website www.second-saturdays.com to see everything that is scheduled.
3) The fundraising reception for the John Dixon statue was a big success at the Crystal Cork last Thursday night. A nice crowd came out to see the unveiling of the table-top bronze sculpture.Thanks to Crystal Cork and to Basil Tree for their help that evening. Three of the table-top bronze statues are now accounted for and only 7 remain. Please consider a donation to this great public arts project!
And a few quick notes ...
- Mama Cimino's is gearing up for a big announcement and a party next week. Stay tuned for details!
- We are making progress on our People's Economic Development Project for the downtown. An information meeting on the possible downtown historic district designation, as well as, information on the project will be given at an informational meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the Public Safety Building.
- John DeLong, owner of JSalon, had quite possibly the best decorated house for Halloween I have ever seen!
- The next Lunch and Learn program is Nov. 17 at noon at the Post House Ballroom at Noon. Guest speaker is Ann Lewis to discuss the Reagan Centennial plans for 2011.
- Support local restaurants and bars while helping the United Way of Lee County reach this year's campaign goal! Participating restaurants have each selected a day and will donate a percentage of that day's sales to the United Way of Lee County! See the schedule below ...
McDonald's in Dixon: November 1st
Culver's in Dixon: November 2nd (5pm-8pm)
The One and Only Nikos': November 8th
Salamandra's: November 9th
Bogey's Bar: November 10th
Mama Cimino's: November 11th
The Stables: November 12th (7-10pm)
Dairy Queen: November 13th
The Brandywine: November 14th (Brunch)
Tipsy's: November 15th (Starting at 6pm)
Touch of Thai: November 17th
Arthur's Garden Deli in Dixon: November 19th